Why Use RefWorks?
Three reasons to use RefWorks include the ability to:
- Gather, store, manage, and share references or citations.
- Generate bibliographies in numerous citation formats such as APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.
- Store references online and have accessibility to them wherever internet access is available.
Setting Up An Account or Accessing RefWorks
RefWorks is available to SIUE faculty, staff, and students. To establish an account, proceed by following these steps.
- Go to the library's homepage.
- Under Research Help, select RefWorks
- If you already have an account, type your user name and password.
- If you do not have an account, click Sign up for an account link.
- Once you have completed the registration, you can login with your username and password.
Within most of the Library databases, there is the ability to export(add) citations into RefWorks. This is often referred to as direct export.
The following databases or database providers allow exporting: ABC-CLIO, Annual Reviews, Compendex, CSA, EBSCO, JSTOR, Lexis-Nexis, OVID, Proquest, ScienceDirect, the SIUE Catalog, WilsonWeb, and WorldCat.
To add citations:
- Perform the search in a database.
- Select add for the record to keep and view
- Look for an export, save, or the RefWorks icon. Click on either.
- Access will be provided to a page that offers Direct Export to RefWorks.
- Click on the proper button. When prompted login to RefWorks [If already logged in, the RefWorks window opens].
- RefWorks opens and the import process begins immediately.
- All citations are saved in the last imported folder from which can be moved to another folder. References can be placed in more than one folder.
Locating Citations Placed in RefWorks
Use the Search menu. Citations can also be sorted under this menu by author, journal title, and subject.
Organizing by Folders
RefWorks organizes references into three folders, Last Imported Reference, Reference not in a Folder and All References. You have the option of creating your own folders as well. This mechanism allows you to save references on different topics into different folders or save a particular reference to multiple folders.
Folders can be shared via email or via the RefShare website allowing for collaboration.
To create a new folder:
- From the Folders pull down menu, select Create New Folder
- Enter a name for the folder.
- Click Ok. A pop-up window will contfirm that the folder was successfully created.
- From the Folders tab, select Organize Folders to rename, delete or clear the contents. The number of references in each folder is also indicated, with hyperlinks to the references.
Creating the Bibliography
Use the Bibliography menu. To create a bibliography within Word, download the Write-N-Cite plugin from the Help Menu.
Additional information on using Write-N-Cite is available in one of the top column tabs.
Director of Research Commons & Outreach Services